Friday, February 11, 2011

ATTENTION: Diet Soda Drinkers


Drinking diet soda could increase the risk of stroke and heart attacks, according to the American Stroke Association. They followed 2,500 people over 9 years. They found that 61 percent of diet soda drinkers were at higher risk for stroke and heart attack, compared with non diet soda drinkers.
The more diet soda intake the higher the risk becomes, due to high sodium intake. We should be consuming only 1,500 milligrams a day, however, the average is about 3,400 milligrams daily.
The moral of the story: If you are drinking more then 1 diet soda a day, your risk of heart attack and stroke goes up significantly. My opinion (I'm going to tell you) cut back your soda intake or stop drinking it all together! While you're at it, consume more water!

Personally, I stopped drinking soda when I started running. I don't like the way it makes me feel, especially when I'm running! I go in and out of stages, but I really do try to avoid it at all costs. If I do have a soda, it's maybe one time a month (and that is still a lot more then I would like). In this study, they only looked at one factor. Sodium. There is more to soda then sodium and we really don't know all the effects they have on us. Be cautious and be aware. Know what you are putting in your body!


Click here to read the full article. Image taken from here.

2 comments:

  1. K....I read this article too and it completely freaked me out, but also made me feel good because I have stopped drinking pop all together. I have been "pop free" since January 1. Let me just tell you what has changed...I suffered from horrible stomach aches, infact I even had my gallbladder removed because they thought that might be the problem...but sadly they still kept coming. Well...once I stopped drinking pop my stomach aches have gone away!! Just think...I might still have my gallbladder if I would have figured this out sooner. I was having horrible headaches...turns out it was pop. But I think the biggest thing for me is the way my body feels. I am more motivated to work out, eat healthy and have more energy. I don't have one craving for it anymore!! In fact, it kind of makes me sick to even think about having another Diet Coke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashlie, this totally freaked me out too! I used to be a HUGE soda drinker, who also had issues with my gallbladder... resulting in it being taken out! I've had a couple surgeries and I believe they all could have been avoided had I changed my diet (and exercised).
    I'm proud of you for cutting soda... my big one is coffee, but I keep getting sucked back in my the aroma! :D
    You like Chi Tea... any others you recommend?
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete