Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Minestrone Soup

You know, when I started this new blog, I wasn't really sure the direction it would go. I know I'm posting a lot of recipes, but after reading a bunch of books, I realized I didn't know what "real" food was. A lot of them tell you what to eat and NOT to eat, but I think we've gotten so far away from what is "real", we really don't know what to eat or how to eat it! We now need books and nutritionist to tell us what we should and shouldn't eat. That's crazy to me! What scares me more was how little I knew about what I was actually eating.

Eating well is hard, it's an adjustment, it taste different (and better), you have to spend more time preparing your food (in theory) and it's a bit more expensive. In my opinion, all worth it! Plus, what we buy is what we are voting for. Check out this trailer and/or watch the movie.
If you are anything like me, after throwing out all the "garbage" food and reading the labels, you wonder... what CAN I eat!
That's why I've been posting recipes. I'm trying to find options for me, my husband & kids and even you!
I know that eating better seems like a challenge, but with little steps, it's do-able! Your body and health will thank you.

Knowledge is power!


So here was last night's dinner.
Minestrone Soup!
Onion, Celery, Carrot, Garlic & Spinach


After all ingredients have been added, simmering!


Yum!!


I have made this soup several times. My family and I have LOVED it every time. I did make some slight modifications, but here is the original recipe (and I have made the original recipe many times).

My modifications last night:
I add 2 cloves of garlic, minced
I used a cup of spinach, finely chopped (I added the carrots, celery, garlic & onion, cooked those for about 5 minutes. Then I added the spinach. cooked another 2 minutes and then added the broth).
I did not use Mushroom, Zucchini or Squash (this time!) I was in a hurry, but they are delicious in the soup.

Follow the directions on her site and you will love this soup too.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment